Saturday, January 31, 2009

Short story - summary

No post yesterday (counting this day as finished when I go to sleep) and no substantive post today, but I have an excuse - I've been writing the short story of Jemma and her unhappy adventures. I meant to post it to the workshop page today, but alas, my connection makes these things difficult. It is the roughest draft I have submitted to the group, and so I am more than a little nervous to put it out for their collectively keen and critical eye. But these things must be done, and I do embellish the critique for dramatic effect. It's invaluable criticism, even when I disagree with one point or another.

The story took a couple unexpected turns, but I was generally able to keep it within the very rough outline I had envisioned. I am least happy with the ending, but I cannot see how to change it without drastically altering the story - and adding far more to the end than I like. Not only does the ending make me nervous, but the style is much different from what I'm comfortable with. I'm trying to write suspense, and suspense does not come naturally to me.

Rough draft, I'll tell myself through gritted teeth as I smile through my flensing. Rough draft.

2 comments:

  1. Obviously I must get to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read indeed! I NEED to post it tonight. If it's at all possible, I'd love some comments tonight.

    ReplyDelete