Thursday, May 14, 2009

Progress - Book of Might Have Beens

UFPE continues on, this time in an entirely new medium. Yes, I have officially begun the comic. Right now, I'm writing the script for it and drawing a stick-person version so I have a vague idea of what it should look like, one day. I don't think it would be terribly interesting to copy it wholesale here, but I know - I'll give the captions for the first page (which is all I have completed so far). There are eight panels, and the captions say:

#1: Carnivala Floriena. They say Lady Fortune and the Lord of Love descend from the stars to dance with the farmers on this night.

#2: If they did attend, I hope they did not notice how badly I fouled my steps.

#3: After I was spun through three jigs, I begged my leave. My head continued to whirl as I looked out over the unending crowd, spilling out into the village green like a flurry of starfliers.

#4: I had never seen such activity, nor such crowds. People jostled me with every step, and my ears rang ceaselessly with the raucous cries they raised.

#5: I saw a man swallow his saber, and I waited with mounting horror for the silver blade to pierce his throat from the inside, to release a crimson fountain. Everyone else just laughed.

#6: Of course, he was perfectly fine.

#7: I spoke to him, after. He smelled vile, and I could see weeks of dirt caked into his flesh.

#8: All my life I had been told I was one of them, yet never before had I felt so utterly lost.

The MMC is quite the sympathetic character here - no trace of the villain he is to become. Even though my drawings are just stick figures, I'm very much enjoying glancing down at the page and seeing what I've created. I don't have the words drawn in, but I can follow what's happening without them. All in all, this is very exciting.

3 comments:

  1. Slightly eerie that you would be writing a story with a dance when I was thinking about dancing. O.o

    VERY fascinating. I suspect this looks really neat with the visual art. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dance dance dance! Yay!

    Oh man, it does look pretty fun. Maybe not "really neat," but even more short study of anime drawing has taught me a lot about facial expressions, so the stick figures at least have some personality.

    Sadly, I had juice in my backpack which spilled all over my drawing pad. So now I have another and need to re-draw everything. Curses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, tanzen is so on my thinkery, and I'm not quite sure why.

    Ooh, faces are /neat/.

    ReplyDelete