Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Story Building - re-writing

Though I'm still a ways from having a solid outline for UFPE Volume I, I have resolved to begin the re-write soon for it. I have an extra binder lying in a locker; I think I'll start by printing off the first ten or so pages and completely rewriting them, then printing off more, re-writing, and so on.

No long post tonight - I know I've been shamefully bad at keeping up with this blog. But I have had a few ideas about what to change about the first few pages, and I'm very excited about it.

*Instead of beginning with MC doing some boring embroidery, it's going to begin as she's fleeing on the back of her beloved unicorn. She'll probably be sobbing.
*Instead of the squicky attempted rape that spurs her flight, her "uncle" will strike her, probably hard enough to leave her bleeding. I originally wrote that in keeping with the rich tradition of attempted rapes of beautiful female heroines, but I'll both feel less squicky writing and re-reading the beginning AND this will serve the plot in later ways.
*Specifically, MC needs a struggle during the first volume. I know the struggle in the second volume - preventing MMC from carrying out his Dastardly Scheme. In the first one, I've come to the conclusion that her struggle will be against her own fear. She'll keep thinking that maybe she should have stayed home after all when things get overwhelming. I have a slightly easier time imagining her thinking about going back after a physical assault than attempted rape.
*In a detail that will probably turn out to be as unimportant as it sounds, MC is going to have a floaty white wrap that she wears to keep the desert sun from roasting her to a crisp. I know, not very interesting.
*After some debate, I'll be keeping the Seaton episode. I plan for him to be important in Volume 3, when MC has to convince Seaton to take up arms against MMC.

We'll see if I remember to print these things off after class tomorrow. I am constantly amazed at how much I'm growing to like this story. After recent plot (and character) revelations, I'm even starting to warm up to the MC.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, the rape felt really weird. Bit too eww in a pleasantly kooky book.

    Really, for the coolness and parodiying in the book, you might aim for mood changes. Suspense... ! and then /kooky/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to disagree with your first statement; the point of it at first wasn't to be pleasantly kooky. It was to be an overheated fantasy novel with purple prose and an MC who was more beautiful, more powerful, and more tortured than anyone else. So the scene fit perfectly both with the idea I had for the plot (in a very loose sense) and with the atmosphere I wanted to establish.

    But now as it becomes an interesting story, the tone and plot are changing so dramatically that it's no longer appropriate.

    But your final idea... interesting! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, I see. I suppose I was reading it with a bit of the wrong approach, then, with the idea it was supposed to be on the Light and Cheery side of the spectrum... but well, I haven't read that into it yet, either, so what can you do?

    Indeed! Glad you like it! Should present a fun challenge, should you choose to accept it. 8)

    ReplyDelete